Friday, May 25, 2012

Destin - Part 1

We have been waiting for our trip to Destin for a long time now.  The time finally arrived on 5/11.  The day did not start out as planned though.  Olivia had a little cold all week and we debated whether to take her to the doctor or not.  Well we decided not to but then came Friday morning and she was burning up with a 102 temp.  At that moment I said I am staying home from work and taking her to the doctor.  We are not going on vacation without seeing the doctor first.  Here is a picture of what she picked out to go to the doctor ; )
You can tell in her little face she didn't feel well.  Thank goodness it was only a little cold and she did have some fluid on her ears so they gave her Amoxicillin.  I was so releived it was nothing major like strep throat or something. 

Well after that we went across the street to get Starbucks.  Um my day got better there too, I ordered my White Chocolate Mocha, got up to the drive through and the manager handed it to me and said it's on the house today.  Hot dog!!!  It doesn't get much better than that ; )  Well actually it does....  after Starbucks I wanted to run into Ross and try to find Jim a couple of new shirts for the trip.  Well after getting him a couple of things we ventured to the purse/bag aisle as always ; )  To back up a little, three weeks before that Olivia and I were in there and there was this awesome Betsy Johnson bag that I feel in love with.  I did not allow myself to buy it because I have too many bags and did not need it.  Ross is like TJ Maxx, if you don't get it when you see it chances are it will be gone when you go back.  Well this was not the case.  That glorius bag was still hanging there yelling my name.  I had just happen to of gotten a little mother's day money the day before soooooooo, long story short that bag is MINE!!!!!  It is pretty sad how stinkn' excited I was about this bag!  Oh and some other good news this week, I recived another nice mothers day card with money soooooooooooooo I got to add it to a gift card I had from Christmas for Best Buy and get the new lens I so badly wanted.  I have wanted this lens for almost a year now.  You have no idea how extatic I was. What a great couple of days ; )  Thanks to all for being so thoughtful.

So after a great morning, Olivia and I went home and packed and took the dogs to the kennel.  That was a diaster.  Olivia balled and balled because she didn't want to leave Pebbles.  Not to mention Pebbles sprained her leg jumping over the seat while getting out.  Oh yeah and she tore about a 2 inch cut into our leather on the Pilot.  Oh man my good day turned bad real quick!!  Anyway, after about an 30 minutes when the tears stopped it was time for Daddy to be home.  We loaded up the car and left around 10:15pm.  We decided we were packed and ready we might as well hit the road.  Olivia slept the entire 7 hours.  It worked out perfect.

Here is the first shot of my two cutie patuties by the ocean!!  This is at like 6:45am.  Not much going on in Destin at that time.  Not to mention it was chilly, cloudy and windy.  We did not care one ounce....we were on vacation baby ; ) 

Her first steps into the beautiful white sand.  I was afraid sassy would not like it.  Boy was I wrong, she loved the beach!

The building in the back is where we stayed.  That is only half.  On the right side of the arch, it looks just like the left side.  Under the big arch is an indoor pool that has a pass through for you to swim outside. 


Silly girl





We drove around for awhile, had breakfast then we decided to see if we could get in the room early.  Yep we could, the keys were just in a lock box that wasn't on a timer.  We ended up getting into the room at 10am.  We immediatly put o's swim suit on and headed for the beach.  The water was cold so we decided not to swim but we knew she would want to sit in the sand.  Can you tell there are no other crazies on the beach? lol



Olivia looks so grown up in this picture.  I swear it looks like I photo shopped this picture but I didn't.  It looks like she has on blush and lipgloss.  We love our beautiful girl.

My crazy wonderful husband.  Can you tell he is excited to be on vacation?  ; )  Look at those waves!!

Here they were building "birthday cakes"  this was all Olivia's idea




Um get a look at this retro swim suit!!!  I fell in love with this thing.  I think Olivia could not look more adorable!!

It was so windy there was sand blowing everywhere.  Look how hazy this picture is.  It's pure sand blowing.  I was terrified I was going to ruin my camera and my new lens.  Still didn't stop me from clicking away. lol



So Saturday night we had big plans.  I was so excited about this, it was the only thing we had planned for the entire trip.  You all know my good friend Kate works for Ronnie Dunn.  Well he just happen to be playing an hour away in Panama so she got us free tickets and meet and greet passes to hang out with the entire band.  We got all decked out.  Here is what Olivia wore....
Too cute.  Not sure why I didn't set up the tripod and do a family picture but we all looked cute. 

So around 6pm we started out on our way and immediatly ran into traffic and tons of stop lights.  Within about 20 minutes it starts piss pouring ran.  We could not see.  I am thinking who cares it's Florida, it will rain for about 20 minutes then stop right?  WRONG!!!   It rained so hard and would not stop.  Our darn gps would not pick up the location of the concert.  We ended at a dead end and was totally lost then we got stuck in traffic letting out from some big arena.  After asking an officer how to get to our location we turned around and was on our way.  Yeah his directions sucked!  After about 2.5 hours in the car and it still raining so hard we can't see, we finally made it.  Um yeah we were pulling in as everyone from the concert (it lasted all day with several other singers) running like the bat out of hell to their cars, debris flying everywhere and the stage rocking, lightening crashing all around us...... I could hear an anouncer talking so I cracked the window only to hear that the show was most likely going to be cancelled but they would update everyone in about 30 minutes.  Seriously what the hell?  I didn't mind not getting to meet the band but all I wanted to do was sit on the beach with my awesome family, drink a beer, hear some great live music, hear the waves crashing and watch our little sassafrass shake her booty.  Yep never happened.  We waited about 45minutes then Jim said "Chas I love you and I have been very patient to come and hear music that I don't really like (not that he doesn't like Ronnie, he just isn't a big fan of country music) but it's time to go"  I was so bummed but knew he was right.  We drove back to the condo in flooding streets and rain so hard people were driving 5mph.  Welcome to Florida Westfalls ; ) ha ha


Sunday was Mother's Day.  Olivia woke us up about 7am so Jim got up and ran to the store.  We brought coffee but forgot sugar.  He not only came back with sugar but had donuts, bacon, stuff to make mimosa's, eggs, toast..... you name it, he bought it because he wasn't sure what all I would want.  God I love this man!  Jim treats me so well.  I love that I woke up on this special day with my beautiful family and to the sound of the waves crashing.  Aaaawwwwhhhhhh!

Here is sassafrass with a drink like mommy's....... well minus the Champaign ; ) lol


My request for Mother's Day was to spend the day at the ocean so that's exactly what we did.  Look at this goofy guy.  He cracks me up.  There was a ton of seaweed so Jimbo decided to wear it on his head ; )




After hanging out on the beach all day we went back for a nap then Jim and Olivia took me to a nice steak dinner for Mother's Day.  It was called McGuires.  This place was huge and had money hanging from every inch of the ceiling.  The food was great too.  It is compared to Ruth Chris steaks.  We love us some Ruth Chris so we knew this would be good.  Yummy!!





On the way out there was this giant moose head.  Olivia thought that was hilarious.


I am so thankful God trusted me to be this little girls Mom.  I love her more than I can ever put into words.  I love how she can just light up a room.  She has a very contagious smile and personality.  I love that she is so sassy but yet so sweet.  She is all girl and so much fun.  I hope that we continue to be close as she gets older.  She is my world!  I hope she looks to me as a good role model and I hope I can at least be half the Mom that my Mom has been to me for 34 years! 

Monday was another day on the beach.  Olivia loved it so much that we decided to spend another entire day there.  Hey why not, it's free, fun and beautiful

There was a little snack shack on the beach that had Daiquiri's so Jim walked down and got him and I a Strawberry one and got Olivia a virgin one.  They were so good and refreshing!

Time to bask in the sunshine ; )

After all day in the sun and a nap we headed to dinner.  We went to Fudpuckers.  It was huge and had tons of things to do while you were there.  They had live alligators.  You can see them in the background there.  Pretty neat place.  Burger was really good.

This sums up Friday through Monday.  We love being on vacation and are totally enjoying the company of eachother.  No work, no attention needy dogs, no housework......it's wonderful.  Every night we hang out on the huge balcony.  We have a wondeful full view on the ocean.  We sit outside listening to the waves, drinking wine and enjoying talking and playing and dancing.  Absolutely perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment