Monday, July 23, 2012

My Running Buddy/Swim lessons

The last two weekends have been pretty low key for us.  This is pretty unusual.  I really just wanted a couple of weekends with no plans at all.  When August rolls around we are usually busy from the start of August until the end of the year so I wanted to soak up some down time. 

I haven't talked much about my running lately, or shall I say lack of!  It has just been too hot for me.  I am still totally into running and most days I have the itch to be out there hitting the pavement, I just can't stand the 100+ degree heat.  I truly do like it and I know I still have a long way to go............but I also know I have come along way already!  I just started back 2 weeks ago running 3 times a week.  Kate and I signed up to do a 5K on August 4th.  God help me!!!  ; )  I can push through the pain, it's just the breathing I can't seem to get down.  I have come to the conclusion I think about it too much while running which makes me lose my breath way to quick.  Still a work in progress ; )  I like running because I can either think about whatever and not be interrupted or I can think about nothing at all. 

Well my running has gotten even better since I now have a little lady that has been inspired to run and gets so excited to go run with me. No joke last Saturday I ran 1.5 miles then came back to the house and got Olivia. Can you believe she ran/walked 2.5 miles???  I could not believe it.  She would have kept going had she not gotten a blister on her little toe.  She is actually a really good runner!  We had so much fun.  It had rained the night before so there were tons of puddles.  What's a girl to do but run through them!  She could not believe I said yes to her running through the puddles with her "good" shoes on.  I said honey that's what running shoes are for, they aren't meant to stay pretty!  I learned that from my Dad who buys a $100+ pair of shoes and will go trash them on purpose just so they don't stand out ; ) 

Here she is last Saturday all geared up and stretching with me.  I mean does it get any better than this?



After our run we all went and had lunch then came back and I of course had a couple of projects up my sleeve ; )  It was off and on raining all day so I painted in the garage while O played around.  Here she is being so silly.  She found this helmet in the garage and ran around with it on being silly.  Then she found the balloon and helium tank and had me blow up balloons for all of her cars.  She is too funny!




Olivia started swimming lessons at the YMCA.  It's only 6 sessions but so far it's already worth it!!  She has done so well.  The first night she jumped to the teacher and went under water and didn't mind being dunked by the teacher either.  I was so proud of her and she was so proud of herself.  After everything she did she would look at me and just beam ear to ear waiting on my approval.  She was too cute!!  It made me realize even at young age kids always try to impress their parents and just want us to be proud of them.  Well this mommy could not be more proud of our little lady! 

I took this picture before class and had plans of snapping away during her lesson but I was quickly told by the lifeguards I was not allowed to take pictures.  I mean I get it but dang I was bummed.  I didn't want pictures of other kids, just our baby.  Oh well gotta play by the rules.....

well kind of ; )  I did snap this one on my phone of Olivia and her teacher.  I made it look like I was texting and took it.  I am such a good role model I know ; ) lol



 I thought I would share this with you.  Olivia's class sends home a sheet everyday where they are graded on their behavior during the day.  It is broken down to 14 categories.  They can earn a smiley face which is good, a sad face which means they need improvement and a straight face which means unsatisfactory.  I love getting these sheets everyday.  We like to know how her day was.  Awhile back Olivia was getting straight faces for not listening almost everyday.  Jim and I talked about how we can get her to improve.  Just talking to her was not working.  We couldn't take a toy away from her for the day, well because she could care less about toys.  I came up with the "Quarter a Day" system.  If Olivia gets all smiley faces she earns a quarter.  If she gets all smiley faces all week long then she can earn an extra dollar for the week.  If she gets a straight face for the day she has to pay us a quarter and she does not earn her extra dollar.  I must say this has worked so well.  She loves earning money and being able to put it in her change purse.  She absolutely hates paying us a quarter.  At the end of the week or maybe every other week I will take her to Target or Ross and let her buy something with her money.  This has been great teaching her the value of money.  She understands when she wants something if she doesn't have enough money that she can't get it.  I even let her  pay for her item(s) herself at the register. 

I wanted something kind of big to keep a ton of quarters in.  One just to make it easy on us and two so Olivia could "keep her eyes on the prize"  I was racking my brain thinking of something then it dawned on me..... I have a yellow smiley face coffee mug.  It works out perfect.  The best part about this cup is it has a great story behind it.  When I was 12 years old I made it to the Junior Olympics in swimming and my Great Aunt Pat sent me a flower delivery saying good luck.  The flower arrangement was in this mug and I have kept it ever since!  It went to college with me and and survived several moves.  My Aunt Pat passed away when I was in college, I still think about her often and her big beautiful smile.  I love that I get to share something special she gave me with Olivia. 


This weekend we did nothing really.  I am selling some of Olivia's clothes at a consignment sale this weekend.  It consumed my entire Sunday.  I am over it but I need to get rid of some of this stuff and I might as well make some money at it.  We are running out of room!!  It amazes me how much clothes this kid has had in 3 years, and cute clothes too!!

Here is my running partner again...... this Saturday she did 1.25 miles.  She was kind of distracted on this run.  She kept looking at all the cats roaming the neighborhood and kept messing with her clothes.  Oh well she still had fun. 
Cute story behind these running shorts.  Friday night I picked her up and we met Jim at Target.  He wanted to pick out a toy/game that they could do together this weekend.  He was going to spend a decent amount if they found something cool.  Well her teacher said Olivia had a good day but she was not a good listener.  Jim was so bummed but he felt like he needed to teach her somewhat of a lesson so he told her she could not pick out anything more than $10.  He kept pointing out stuff she "could of had" if she had been good.  Even though we spent money on her, she still got the point of if she would have been good she could have had something pretty cool.  Anyway after walking around for awhile they couldn't decide on anything so I said well at this point it doesn't have to be a toy, you can get clothes or something.  She had a toy in her hand and said yes I want running shorts, here Daddy go put this toy back.  So yep, she ended up picking out these shorts!!  I felt like it was a pretty good lesson for her, and the fact that she picked out something that involves exercise, we were pretty proud of her!

Have a great week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment